Parenting Adult Kids with Mental Illness
Parenting is hard enough, but parenting adult children with Mental Illness can leave you feeling hopeless and full of guilt and shame. During therapy we will focus on supporting you in learning about your adult child's mental illness, exploring ways to communicate with them more effectively, and also supporting you in coping with your own feelings and thoughts towards yourself and your child.
This is a safe and supportive place to dig deep into the impacts it is having on you and also giving you tools to try to find support for yourself and your child. You are not alone in this and you are doing the best you can with the current situation.
I offer resources in Santa Clara county and help you navigate getting support, medication, and any other resources you may need to help your adult child cope with their mental illness.
Lastly, this therapy offers the opportunity to turn into family therapy if your adult child decides they would also like support.
- NAMI Resources
- NAMI Family-to-family support group
- NAMI Peer-to-Peer support group
- Here to Help
- How to help Article - Psychology today
- How to help Someone with mental Illness- NAMI
- Facebook Support group
- MHA support group
- Book: When someone you love has a mental illness
- Book: Surviving Schizophrenia
- Book: I'm not sick, I don't need help!